Upon application, the prospective delegate is required to submit an essay on the agenda, where one should express his opinions and thoughts on the problem at hand. Writing an essay is the most vital part of application process, as it helps to determine one’s views and thus provide him or her with a more satisfying model UN experience.
This year’s agenda is “Biotechnology in agricultural development”, as stated formerly on the committee’s main page.
Here is a list of preferences on the constitution of one’s essay:
- The necessary length is 500 – 800 words.
- It should be written in English – the working language of the committee.
- The essay is supposed to be a product of your own research and to express your point of view on the agenda – be mindful not to get carried away, though, as this is NOT the position paper.
To write a successful essay one should:
- Study the issue carefully. It is essential and rather helpful to read the report on the agenda, paying special attention to the most important aspects.
- Remember that it is not necessary to follow the conventional viewpoints of experts or researches.
- While writing your essay, express your ideas clearly – being creative and original is endorsed if it does NOT harm the logic and overall clarity. Bear in mind that your suggestions are supposed to make the work of the Committee as constructive as possible.
- Include a brief history of the problem to show your understanding of the background. Try to answer the following questions: What is the situation in the world concerning this issue? How did it develop? In what ways does it influence the international community? What is does the UN do about it? What documents have been adopted so far by the corresponding UN organizations? Which conferences have been held? What is going to be done in future?
- Do NOT forget to add your own suggestions in accordance with the agenda. Though you are not obliged to introduce reforms in your essay, it is highly recommended to give a couple of specific suggestions concerning any aspect of Agricultural Biotechnology. The main thing is to suggest measures that are possible to implement and that will eliminate the current and possible future problems.
Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations Expert,